Information Counselling and Legal Assistance Specialist (ICLA) - Ethiopia
Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Established in 2011, the Norwegian Refugee Council office in Ethiopia works to ensure that displaced populations in need of humanitarian assistance are included in emergency, durable solution and resilience based programming. The Ethiopia programme has field operations in Dollo Ado, Shire, Gambella, Assosa, Jigjiga and Addis Ababa. Through Shelter, Education, WASH, Education, ICLA (Information, Counseling & Legal Assistance) and Food Security & Livelihoods interventions, NRC works to improve the protection and living conditions of refugees, host communities, internally displaced persons and youth at risk of irregular migration.
The purpose of the ICLA Specialist position is technical development of the specific Core Competency, strategic direction and quality assurance. , the Core Competency strategy and quality control. The Core Competency Specialist is responsible for mentoring, training and capacity building of staff on Core Competency technical capacity.
- Generic Responsibilities:
- Develop ICLA strategy, technical guidance and Macro LFAs
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within ICLA Core Competency, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from Core Competency implementation, and incorporate them in Core Competency and staff development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Specific Responsibilities:
- Study specific ICLA contextual aspects and issues in Ethiopia and produce strategic and programming analysis to initiate ICLA programme in NRC Ethiopia.
- Ensure that the necessary funds and resources are mobilized for the growing needs for ICLA programmes
- Ensure that the ICLA strategy and projects initiated will promote and protect the rights of refugees, IDPs, host community and returnees and will contribute to the Ethiopia advocacy strategy.
- Assess specific ICLA contextual analysis as well as potential programming aspects in Addis-Ababa, Tigray and Somali region (Dollo) and share findings
- Develop High quality ICLA project proposals and reports for potential programming in the relevant locations
- Ensure that the relevant donors are targeted for fund raising.
- Support in establishing required capacities for ICLA programme in Ethiopia including recruiting national staff when needed.
- Ensure designing and implementation of high quality ICLA interventions
- Ensure generation of timely and high quality project reports
- Generic professional competencies for this position:
- University Degree in relevant disciplines i.e. law; Masters level an asset.
- Minimum four years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- ICLA Core competency expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Context/specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience in project development, especially in an emergency and post-emergency phase
- Experience working with ECHO, DFID, NMFA, SIDA and UN agencies UNHCR, UNICEF etc...
- Knowledge of the context in Ethiopia
- Experience in capacity building and community mobilization;
- Experience in advocacy work
- Experience with coordination mechanisms (cluster and sectorial)
- Knowledge of the local language an asset.
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
- Duty station: Addis Ababa ( with 50% travel to programme areas of intervention)
- Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.